Nebraska’s governor says city ordinances barring discrimination against gay and transgender people should be put to public votes.
Gov. Dave Heineman on Tuesday cited a recent opinion from the state attorney general’s office that said cities would have to amend their charters to offer protections to groups not covered by state law.
Governor Heineman claims that he’s just repeating an opinion from the AG’s office … but in reality what he’s doing is disguising his own position against extending anti-discrimination protection to gays and lesbians. That position, ultimately, is that questions about whether it’s acceptable to discriminate should be decided by a majority of the populace.
I understand that some people don’t like lgbtq individuals; they don’t want them to get married, adopt children, live near them, work in their offices, or look at them on the street. They think they’re icky. They might not feel the same way about Latinos, or African-Americans, or Asians, or Jews, or Mormons, or Catholics, or whomever … but they also might.
And the position of Nebraska’s governor is that a) this is perfectly fine and b) if enough people feel this way, then discrimination against minorities groups is not only acceptable but also the right course of action.
In other words, he seems content to say that whether or not it’s acceptable to discriminate against some group or other should be determined by 51% of the people who turn up to vote. But, frankly, I find it hard to believe that Governor Heineman would agree to this statement if we were talking about discrimination toward any other group of people.
- deuscaincasual reblogged this from kohenari and added:
- juelzc reblogged this from beerorkid
- aygamg reblogged this from beckstraordinary
- beckstraordinary reblogged this from beerorkid
- beerorkid reblogged this from damngina
- wateringgoodseeds likes this
- remoooo79 reblogged this from kohenari
- pop-rocks-blowjob likes this
- pxu-audiophil likes this
- stephentstone likes this
- dannyliberty said: <3
- dannyliberty likes this
- tsarbucks reblogged this from kohenari and added:
- dolce-dolore likes this
- relicsatheart reblogged this from kohenari
- relicsatheart likes this
- tofias likes this
- blogvader reblogged this from kohenari
- doubtingmarcus likes this
- lalondes reblogged this from kohenari
- lalondes likes this
- damngina reblogged this from kohenari
- politicalprof likes this
- This was featured in #Politics
- rightartistwrongsong reblogged this from rossn
- 12345pigeons likes this
- scudmissile likes this
- rossn reblogged this from kohenari
- deuscain likes this
- kohenari posted this